less_retarded_wikimain page, file list (479), single page HTML, source, report, wiki last updated on 09/26/23
Rust is an extremely poor attempt at a politically motivated capitalist programming language and one of the prime examples of badly designed software in general. It is extremely harmful not just because of its awful design and implementation and motivation, it also promotes toxic politics, tries to replace relatively good languages such as C and, worst of all, is gaining popularity among highly unqualified coding monkeys, i.e. the majority of people creating technology nowadays, so it is infecting everything and contributing to the downfall of technology. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM RUST.
It should be made clear that rust is shit AND CANNOT BE FIXED, it is awful from the ground up and the only way to deal with it is to delete it. To mention just a few issues:
- Rust is bloated as hell, it violates the most important philosophy in programming: the Unix philosophy, and tries to do everything at once (i.e. follow the Windows philosophy). As such it sports TONS of dependencies even for trivial programs. The repo has FKN OVER 200 MB OF SOURCE CODE??? It probably doesn't have to be said it includes such unnecessary trash as generics, twisted object obsession ("traits"), package manager, forced memory safety and whatnot. It itself depends on extreme bloat like Python, ninja, cmake etc. Apparently compiling rust even requires Internet connection to download some bootstrap shit?
- It's just complete shit written, everyone complains it compiles slow as hell (both rust programs and rust itself), it creates HUGE binaries because it statically links all the dependencies and runtime environment LMAO.
- Rust is capitalist software sponsored by corporations like Mozilla and Micro$oft, trying to perpetuate the philosophy of "modern" anti-people technology rather than steering it in better direction. The Rust brand is trademarked and "protected" by corporations owning it. Remember, a corporation NEVER sponsors anything without trying to buy some control over that thing.
- It has licensing/freedom issues, specifically making it difficult to exercise freedom 3 (legally modify software), see https://web.archive.org/web/20191224132425/https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:main:rusts_freedom_flaws. Its "open source" label is just openwashing, it is "open source" in the same way Android is open source (it has a "FOSS" license but it is de facto centrally controlled by some fascist group).
- Rust has no specification, it tries to discourage other implementations and as such greatly hurts basic principles of freedom. Lack of fixed specifications also creates update culture etc.
- Due to the above, Rust is not really a language, it is more of a "platform" or "software framework" for programs -- Rust is a programming language in the same sense in which Google App Store is a package manager. If it becomes the mainstream language, it will do to computer programs what e.g. Steam has done to video games.
- Rust is fascist tranny software -- not because it is written by trannsexuals, but because it sports political discrimination through codes of conduct and creating a de-facto monopoly on the language (with bloat monopoly, lack of specification, kicking people out of development based on their political views etc.).
- Its selling point is supposed to be memory safety but that makes the language extremely slow. For fast programs safety has to be turned off but then you can just write in C, so there is no point to Rust -- definitely not as a replacement for C.
- It ridiculously tries to be a "handholding system language", i.e. an expert level language designed for beginners or incompetent people (of course with the obvious goal to empower women forced into tech etc.). Being written by pre-beginner level "coders", it sets goals such as "system language should tie your hands and prevent beginner mistakes". It's like trying to design a fighter jet around the idea that it will be operated by beginners and therefore e.g. removing fire buttons or limiting top speed so as to limit dangers posed by sitting an amateur pilot in a fighter jet.
- It is more than anything a political language trying to push propaganda, send messages about minorities in tech instead of creating good technology, and "fight" and destroy languages invented by straight white men -- the most popular activity of rust soydevs seems to be rewriting already existing, well established, tested and greatly optimized programs from scratch in rust. As such language it is mostly written by angry minorities such as girls and trannies who can't much into technology, hence the completely shit design and implementation.
- It tries to displace good languages such as C and sadly, thanks to its populism and political appeal, is becoming popular among masses of coding monkeys who have no idea about technology.
- It is completely unnecessary in the first place, a good low level language already exists: C. If anything, we need to improve C by making it simpler, but overcomplicated C also already exists for those who for some reason want to use a shit language: C++, and there are of course also slow and safe language well suited for beginners, such as Python. Rust is just flushing thousands of manhours (prolly rather soiboihours) down the toilet.
- Also "rust", what a shitty name lol. Who comes up with these idiotic names? Why do modern languages and libraries have to be called these shitty things like banana, unicorn hamburger, kangaroo space shuttle etc.?
- TODO: MORE, but you get the idea
All content available under CC0 1.0 (public domain). Send comments and corrections to drummyfish at disroot dot org.