less_retarded_wikimain page, file list, single page HTML, source, report, wiki last updated on 02/04/23
"Just werks" (for "just works" if that's somehow not clear) is a phrase used by noobs to justify using a piece of technology while completely neglecting any other deeper and/or long term consequences. A noob doesn't think about technology further than how it can immediately perform some task for him.
This phrase is widely used on 4chan/g, it probably originated there.
The "just werks" philosophy completely ignores questions such as:
- Is there anything better in the long run? A normie will always prefer a shitty software he can immediately use to a software that would take one day to learn and that would make the task many times easier, comfortable, cheaper etc.
- Is this affecting my freedom? A normie doesn't realize that by using proprietary or bloated program will limit the number of people who can maintain, fix and improve his software.
- Is this affecting my security? Of course noobs are completely oblivious to the fact that certain types of technology are just plain spyware.
- How is this affecting my computing in a wider sense? A normie won't even think about such thing as that using some proprietary format will likely immediately close the door to working with it with a FOSS program, or that installing a specific OS will limit what programs he can run.
- Am I becoming a slave to this technology? By adopting something proprietary and/or bloated I am slowly becoming dependent on an ecosystem that's completely under control of some corporation, an ecosystem that can quickly change for the worse or even disappear completely.
- Am I supporting evil? E.g. by paying to a corporation, letting someone collect data in the background, promoting a bad piece of technology etc.
- Am I hurting better alternatives by not using them? E.g. by using a proprietary social network gives one more user to it and one fewer to a potentially more ethical free social network.
- Is there anything just plain better? A normie will take the first thing that's handed to him and "just werks" without even checking if something better exists that would satisfy him better.
All content available under CC0 1.0 (public domain). Send comments and corrections to drummyfish at disroot dot org.